Tuesday, January 13, 2009

25 Comedies from the Past 25 Years

In my last post about Harold Lloyd and "The Freshman", I commented that "they just don't make comedies like they used to." The modern day verbal comedy just doesn't transcend all boundries the way physical comedy from the silent era does. This doesn't mean there haven't been funny movies made recently. After I published that post, I went home and found the latest Entertainment Weekly magazine waiting for me. Now I don't look at this publication at being top of the line journalism in any way. It's more of a poor man's Pop Culture light. But it did have an article on 25 Comedies from the Past 25 Years to help you get through the hard economic times. Usually when EW does a list like this it is lacking in some ways, but if anything it was a good conversation piece. It made me look back and analyze the best comedies of the past few decades.
One problem with examining Comedies is that the genre has so many sub-genres; slapstick, deadpan, verbal, screwball, black or dark comedies, parodies, spoofs and satire. There's even the latest label of a dramedy, part drama part comedy. So how do you compare Woody Allen to Adam Sandler to Eddie Murphy to Bill Murry to etc. Besides for the obvious criteria of does it make me laugh, does it continue to make me laugh on repeated viewings. Another interesting similarity between these films is that words or whole lines from the movie start being used on a normal basis in my life, AND people around instantly understand what I mean and where this came from.

So here is EW's list with my own comments. If I haven't seen the movie myself it will be difficult for me to discuss so I'll offer up a few recommendations of my own at the end.
  1. Ghostbusters (1984) Agreed

  2. National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983) Agreed

  3. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) I enjoyed this when it came out, but can't remember much about it besides the music. I might have to revisit this one.

  4. This is Spinal Tap! (1984) A modern Classic, especially since some people didn't realize it was a joke.

  5. Office Space (1999) Agreed

  6. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999) I haven't seen this one. I've only seen a few episodes on TV and it was funny, but...

  7. There’s Something About Mary (1998) A modern Classic

  8. The Big Lebowski (1998) This was more of a recent find for me, but completely agreed. It has it's own cult following.

  9. A Fish Called Wanda (1988) I've never seen this whole movie. I just can't seem to get into it. I know some who love it and others who think it's very overrated.

  10. Dazed and Confused (1993) This is one of those movies that I don't quite view as a comedy although it is quite funny. It is a wonderful job at depicting the 1970's the same way "American Graffiti" showed the 1950's. I really like this movie so I'll keep it on the list.

  11. The 40 Year-Old Virgin (2005) I enjoyed this, but I don't know if I would put this on the list. I remember a few sequences (removal of chest hair), but not much else.

  12. When Harry Met Sally… (1989) A modern Classic

  13. Waiting for Guffman (1997) One of the few Christopher Guest movies I haven't seen. I'm sure it's great, but can't comment on it.

  14. Wedding Crashers (2005) I really enjoyed this when it came out, but each repeat viewing I've enjoyed it less, and the ending drags. It could have been a contender. I'll keep it on for now.

  15. Trading Places (1983) Agreed

  16. Superbad (2007) Judd Apatow's films have appeared on this list a few times and I guess I'm not quite sure about him just yet. I enjoyed this film, but really don't need to see it again, which just doesn't make it a classic.

  17. Tropic Thunder (2008) Haven't seen it

  18. Napoleon Dynamite (2004) I know some of my students who loved this, but I never saw it. Hard to say how well this will hold up.

  19. Clueless (1995) Agreed. The best teen comedy of the 90's

  20. Best in Show (2000) Agreed

  21. Clerks (1994) I saw this about 10 years after its release and I must admit I didn't understand the appeal. Can think of a few other Kevin Smith films I'd put above this, like "Dogma".

  22. Old School (2003) A rehash of "Animal House". I enjoyed it but it doesn't belong here. Maybe the Top 50.

  23. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997) Agreed

  24. The Naked Gun (1998) Agreed

  25. Withnail and I (1987) I know nothing about this one at all. There are quite a few modern classics that deserve this spot!

Well, looking back on EW's list, it looks like I have at least 10 available slots to fill, so here's my list of extra recommendations for you, comedies from the past 25 years:

  1. A Christmas Story (1983) A modern classic, none of these other movies have had a T.V. station that played it repeatedly for 24 hours!
  2. Groundhog Day (1993) Besides for being funny, it brings up some interesting life questions

  3. The Princess Bride (1987) Just all around family fun. One of my personal all time favorites and most quoted
  4. Bull Durham (1988) Hits all of the right notes as a comedy, romance and sports film

  5. Back to the Future (1985) Is just an enjoyable and fun film even after so many viewings

  6. Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) I remember laughing so hard when I saw this in the theater and it still cracks me up. Quoted throughout many a family function.

  7. Big (1988) A story that has been copied many times, but this one does it the best.

  8. Fargo (1996) A wonderful, dark comedy

  9. Zoolander (2001) As stupid as they come, but it makes me laugh every time

  10. Rushmore (1998) I must admit I haven't seen this, but so many of my friends adore this film I figured I'd put it up for your consideration

A few other considerations for you that wouldn't appear on the top of my list of comedies follows: Moonstruck (1987), Raising Arizona (1987), Beetlejuice (1988), Wayne's World (1992), Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), Wag the Dog (1997), Shakespeare in Love (1998), The Wedding Singer (1998), Galaxy Quest (1999).

It's interesting to note that many of the films I added were more "family" in nature. There's not many movies from EW's list that I would feel comfortable watching with my parents and little kids. Where most of the films I added you could. Maybe that says more about me. Feel free to add any more comedies I may have missed.

2 comments:

  1. I burst out laughing just reading the words: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

    Waiting for Guffman pales in comparison to the other Christopher Guest movies, except for maybe the last one (Was it Home for Purim?).

    You should see Rushmore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had quite a few responses that I should see "Rushmore". I will have to pick that up soon.

    ReplyDelete